Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Monday, April 9th

Today I decided to try something completely different to get the electric guitar rhythm sound I'm looking for...

I'm a firm believer that nothing sounds quite like a tube amp when you're standing right in front of it - warm, clear, alive. The problem we'd been having was getting that warmth to translate over the microphone and into Pro Tools. So, like I said, I decided to try something different - using my $30 Behringer amp simulator pedal instead of a real amp. I use this little bugger on Sunday mornings to keep my guitar rig as small as possible. I'm a complete gear junkie and I've tried out all kinds of pedals, amps and amp simulators. For some reason, this cheap pedal has one amp setting that's simply incredible.

The results? The warmth we were looking for - right on target. So $3,000 worth of amps sat in the next room over while we laid down tracks for all the songs using a $30 pedal instead. I was able to dial in just the tone I wanted on each song because I could sit right in front of the soundboard and hear through the monitors EXACTLY what guitar tone was being recorded in Pro Tools. This is so much easier than messing with amps - even if it is sacrilegious to most guitar players...

We finished up the day by getting set to lay down the final vocal tracks.

No comments: