Friday, April 6, 2007

Wednesday, April 4th

Just 2 and a half hours of recording this morning before Coop has to head out of town for a few days. I'm actually looking forward to the Thursday/Friday break from recording to regroup my thoughts on the project and get things together for Sunday morning's Easter service. We're going to be doing some really cool things with worship. I don't want to give anything away, so let's just say that it involves me coming up through the stage floor, smoke and lots of lasers...

So, back to my friend the bar stool for more acoustic guitar. The most testing song was "Glorified", which as rhythm acoustic parts in addition to rhythm parts played with a bare hand (as opposed to a pick) and some definitive finger picking parts in the verses. There's almost nothing harder, when it comes to recording guitar, than picking a similar pattern over and over without a mistake. "Glorified" has that in spades! After 50 bazillion takes, I think we finally got some really good takes.

Only 2 more songs are missing acoustic guitar parts, which we'll knock out on Saturday when we pick things up again. Then it's on to rhythm electric guitar, which is going to be a lot of fun. The whole process of finding great guitar tones is something every guitar player LOVES doing. We'll be using my full arsenal of guitars and amps next week, which is going to be ridiculously exciting.

I'll be giving the guided tour through my gear collection in an upcoming post...

No comments: