Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Wednesday, April 11th


This morning we started laying down lead vocals for real. We ran through each song, doing 1 or 2 complete "takes". Things went really well and we'll use these tracks a starting point to tweak from. Over the next week, we'll listen intently to each vocal track for words that I want to enunciate differently and melody lines that need to be polished. Then we'll go song-by-song, line-by-line until we get the vocals where we
want them.



After I had sung myself horse, we started on lead guitars. It's fun and challenging at the same time because I'm no Jimi Hendrix. Creatively, coming up with lead guitar parts is really cool. I get to play over drums, bass, electric rhythm guitar, acoustic guitar and the vocal tracks we just laid down earlier this morning. After the success we had with the amp simulator I mentioned in the last post, I decided to try lead guitar using our Line6 Pod XT Live pedalboard. Again, the results were incredible.






















So I spent about 4 hours sitting in front of the soundboard figuring parts, practicing them and finally recording them. We only got the first 2 songs done ("Marvelous" and "So In Love With You") but we're ready to go strong again tomorrow. I can save every tone I come with onto the pedalboard's memory, so as I come up with each new sound, I label accordingly. This will give me access to all of the tones we use for later recording tweaks or playing the songs live. Technology rules...


If you have no job, no life or just too much free time, you can check out a live webcam of us recording tomorrow, from around noon to 5pm, right here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful place to be recording! - do you take swim breaks? LT